TARPON ARTS is excited to announce the dates for the 2018 One Act Plays Festival ©, (OAPF©) Tampa Bay’s premier production of one act plays. Performances will be July 19th thru July 22nd and will be performed at the Tarpon Springs Performing Arts Center.
Tarpon Arts is pleased to extend an invitation to novice, emerging or accomplished playwrights to submit one-act plays, with the following criteria:
- One Act plays, to be performed in approximately 5 – 15 minutes
- No large casts, ideally prefer 2-5 characters, 6 characters maximum.
- Original plays only, no adaptations.
- Not previously staged within 75 miles of the Tampa Bay area.
- Minimal staging, set, props, costumes, tech support, etc. We use a black set with entrances at stage left, stage right, and center stage.
- Blatant adult themes/language will only be considered if the play reading committee considers it to be vital to the plot and not excessively offensive to family audiences.
- Our audiences prefer comedies, although we do consider some serious dramas.
- Please try to identify the characters gender, age, any special circumstances, etc. as best as possible.
ALL PLAYS MUST BE SUBMITTED ELECTRONICALLY.
- Please prepare either an MS WORD or a PDF document and e-mail one (1) copy of up to three scripts to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Please use subject line: 2018 OAPF submission
- Do not identify yourself on any of the pages of the script(s) you submit, but please include, on a separate sheet,
a list of the titles you are submitting, your name, your complete postal mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
- Please omit any reference to the playwright on the script itself. We want the readers to make their choices without
regard to the identity of the playwright.
- If the submission is by anyone other than the playwright, please identify both the playwright and the name of the sender in the
above information sheet.
- Submitters will be notified of the selection process, by e-mail, within three weeks after the ,submission deadline.
- When submitting more than one script, please send only one (1) e-mail containing 1, 2, or 3 scripts and the cover sheet.
- A playwright may submit up to 3 scripts for consideration. The play reading committee will select 10 final plays to be performed.
To be considered for inclusion, plays MUST be received no later than midnight April 8th, 2018 and ALL PLAYS MUST BE SUBMITTED ELECTRONICALLY!
A $5.00 entry fee per play is required. None of the entry fees are retained by Tarpon Arts, all of the proceeds of these fees will be distributed to the playwrights whose plays have been voted on as favorites by the audiences, net of any fees incurred in processing the payments as follows: First place, 50% of the net of the entry fees received, Second place, 30% of the net of the entry fees received, and Third place, 20% of the net of the entry fees received.
In the # of tickets box, enter 1, 2 or 3 based on how many plays you’re submitting and then click “Best Available.” On the next screen, confirm the number of entry fees matches your number of submissions and click “Add to Cart.” Enter your payment information on the secure site and click “Finalize Order.” You can print out your payment confirmation but you do not have to – we will track all received payments and submissions on our end.
For more submission opportunities, visit PlaySubmissionsHelper.com/blog for a list of contests and other play submission opportunities with deadlines coming up this month.
ATTENTION ACTORS, DIRECTORS, SET DESIGNERS AND ANYONE ELSE INTERESTED IN LIVE THEATRE!
If you have an interest in directing a play, please contact the producer as soon as possible. Directors will be selected by April 24th, auditions will be on April 29th and 30th at the Tarpon Springs Cultural Center.
Auditions will be held on Sunday, April 29th and Monday, April 30th at the Tarpon Springs. Cultural Center, 101 S. Pinellas Ave. (Alt.19). Anyone, from those with no theatre experience to seasoned veterans, are invited to audition. There will be many roles to cast. Doors open at 6:00 PM to register, auditions begin promptly at 7:00. Directors will cast their plays at the end of the second night and all attending will be notified no later than Friday, May 4th.
Set builders, painters, techs:
We only need a very simple black box set. Start building Wednesday, July 11th, 2018. Tech week runs Sunday, July 15th thru Wednesday, July 18th.
Want to help? Email your interest to producer Rick Kastel at email@example.com.
We look forward to presenting the best One Act Plays Festival EVER!