Upcoming Auditions & Workshops
Open auditions will be held for the Tarpon Arts’ production of Crimes of the Heart by Beth Henley on the following dates:
- Sunday, April 2, 2023 at 6PM
- Monday, April 3, 2023 at 6PM
Auditions will be held at the Tarpon Springs Heritage Museum at 100 Beekman Lane, Tarpon Springs, FL, 34689. Roles are open to all genders, races, and ethnic diversities. Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script and are open to all experience levels. The show will be directed by Madison Claire and stage managed by Marissa Smutko.
(Dramatic Comedy) The scene is Hazlehurst, Mississippi, where the three Magrath sisters have gathered to await news of the family patriarch, their grandfather, who is living out his last hours in the local hospital. Lenny, the oldest sister, is unmarried at thirty and facing diminishing marital prospects; Meg, the middle sister, who quickly outgrew Hazlehurst, is back after a failed singing career on the West Coast; while Babe, the youngest, is out on bail after having shot her husband in the stomach. Their troubles, grave and yet, somehow, hilarious, are highlighted by their priggish cousin, Chick, and by the awkward young lawyer who tries to keep Babe out of jail while helpless not to fall in love with her. In the end the play is the story of how its young characters escape the past to seize the future—but the telling is so true and touching and consistently hilarious that it will linger in the mind long after the curtain has descended.
- LENORA (LENNY) MAGRATH: Lenny is around thirty-years-old. She is the oldest Magrath sister. She is a thoughtful and responsible, yet frustrated and lonely lady. She takes care of her old and sick grandfather, Old Granddaddy. Southern accent required.
- MARGARET (MEG) MAGRATH: Meg is the middle sister. She is twenty-seven years old. She smokes, drinks, and flirts with danger. At the start of the play, Meg comes back to her home after her singing career does not go well in Los Angeles. She faces a nervous breakdown in L.A. and admits to a psychiatric ward as well. Southern accent required.
- REBECCA (BABE) BOTRELLE: Babe is the youngest among the Magrath sisters. She is twenty-four years old. She is married to a wealthy lawyer, naming Zackery. At the opening act of the play, the news of Babe shooting her husband comes. Southern accent required.
- CHICK BOYLE: Chick is the Magrath sisters’ cousin. She is twenty-nine years old. She has yellow hair and shiny red lips. Chick is very concerned about her reputation in the community. When the news of Babe shooting her husband comes, she worries that how will she keep her head up in the community. Southern accent required.
- BARNETTE LLOYD: Barnette is a lawyer who Babe hires to fight her case. He is twenty-six years old. He is a graduate of the Ole Miss Law school. He is a clever man. He takes Babe’s case as a chance to take personal revenge from Babe’s husband for ruining his father. He possesses a strong attraction to Babe. Southern accent required.
- DOC PORTER: He is Meg’s old boyfriend. He is thirty years old. He gives the news to Lenny that her horse has been killed. He is still called by “Doc” even when his medical career died after he was seriously injured in a hurricane. Southern accent required.
All actors who are cast must be available for all show dates, as well as tech week (Monday, June 5th, 2023 through Wednesday, June 7th, 2023) and a MANDATORY Friends & Family preview performance on Thursday, June 8th, 2023 starting at 7pm, cast call at 6pm. Showtimes are 7pm Fridays, and 2pm on Saturdays and Sundays. Cast call would be 1 hour prior to showtime. Show dates are listed below.
- Friday, June 9, 2023
- Saturday, June 10, 2023
- Sunday, June 11, 2023
- Friday, June 16, 2023
- Saturday, June 17, 2023
- Sunday, June 18, 2023
Rehearsals are planned for April through June and will be subject to cast/crew availability. Rehearsals will start out at three times per week, then upping to meeting four times a week at the halfway point.
Please bring a list of conflicts to the audition to allow for scheduling considerations.
If you have ANY questions please feel free to contact director Madison Claire at firstname.lastname@example.org. Looking forward to seeing you at auditions!
Tickets available now at tarponarts.org or call 727-942-5605.